I will now deal with the amendments circulated by Senator Thorpe. The question before the chair is that the amendments on sheet 1892 be agreed to.
Senator Thorpe's circulated amendments—
(1) Schedule 1, item 4, page 3 (line 23) to page 4 (line 10), omit the item, substitute:
4 Section 7
associated provisions means the following provisions:
(a) the provisions of a legislative instrument made under this Act;
(b) the provisions of a legislative instrument made under the regulations;
(c) sections 134.1, 134.2, 135.1, 135.2, 135.4, 136.1, 137.1 and 137.2 of the Criminal Code, in so far as those sections relate to:
(i) this Act; or
(ii) a legislative instrument made under this Act; or
(iii) a legislative instrument made under the regulations.
4A Section 7 (at the end of the definition of baseline emissions number )
Add "and subsection 22XMA(4)".
4B Section 7
Commonwealth Registry account has the same meaning as in the Australian National Registry of Emissions Units Act 2011.
4C Section 7 (at the end of the definition of covered emissions )
Add "and subsection 22XMA(2)".
4D Section 7 (at the end of the definition of designated large facility)
Add "and subsection 22XMA(3)".
4E Section 7
issue, in relation to a safeguard mechanism credit unit, means issue under section 22XNA.
(2) Schedule 1, page 8 (after line 21), after item 30, insert:
30A At the end of Division 3 of Part 3H
22XMA Onshore shale gas facilities
(1) This section applies in relation to a facility that involves the exploration or production of onshore shale gas if:
(a) the facility was not a designated large facility for any financial year ending before 1 July 2023; or
(b) on or after the commencement of this section, the undertaking of that exploration or production is extended to new areas.
(2) Despite section 22XI, for the purposes of this Act, the covered emissions of greenhouse gases, in relation to the facility, are:
(a) scope 1 emissions of one or more greenhouse gases; and
(b) scope 2 emissions of one or more greenhouse gases.
(3) Despite section 22XJ, for the purposes of this Act, the facility is a designated large facility for any financial year beginning on or after 1 July 2023.
(4) Despite section 22XL, for the purposes of this Act, the baseline emissions number for the facility is:
(a) for a financial year beginning on or after 1 July 2023—nil; or
(b) for a period other than a financial year that begins on or after 1 July 2023—nil.
Date and time: 1:08 PM on 2023-03-30
Senator Pocock's vote: Aye
Total number of "aye" votes: 12
Total number of "no" votes: 39
Total number of abstentions: 25
Related bill: Safeguard Mechanism (Crediting) Amendment Bill 2023
Adapted from information made available by theyvoteforyou.org.au